Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Self-Initiation Ritual




The Preparation

The tools on the altar: sword, athame, white-handled knife, wand, pentacle, censer of incense, scourge, cords, chalice of wine, anointing oil, bowl of water, bowl of salt and a necklace or pendant.

It is best if the initiate is sky clad; any jewellery usually worn should be removed.

The Ritual

Consecrate the water and salt, cast, the Circle, carry around the water, carry around the censer, carry around the candle and summon the Lords of the Watchtowers.

Face the altar with arms raised high and wide.

“I invoke thee and call upon thee, Mighty Mother of us all, bringer of all fruitfulness; by seed and root, by stem and bud, by leaf and flower and fruit do I invoke thee to bless this rite, and to admit me to the company of thy hidden children.”

Stand with your back to the altar and recite the Charge of the Goddess:

“Now listen to the words of the Great Mother, who was of old also called among men Artemis, Astarte, Athene, Dione, Melusine, Aphrodite, Cerridwen, Dana, Arianrhod, Isis, Bride, And by many other names. Whenever ye have need of anything, once in the month, and better when the Moon is full, then shall ye assemble in some secret place, and adore the spirit of me, who am Queen of all witches. There shall ye assemble, Ye who are lain to learn all sorcery, yet have not won its deepest secrets; To these will I teach things that are as yet unknown. And ye shall be free from slavery; And as a sign that ye be really free, ye shall be naked in your rites; And ye shall dance, sing, feast, make music and love, All in my praise. For mine is the ecstasy of the spirit, and mine also is joy on earth; For my law is love unto all beings.

Keep pure your highest ideal; Strive ever towards it, let naught stop you or turn you aside; For mine is the secret door which opens upon the land of youth, And mine is the cup of wine of life, And the cauldron of Cerridwen, which is the Holy Grail of immortality.

I am the gracious Goddess, who gives the gift of joy unto the heart of man. Upon earth, I give the knowledge of the spirit eternal; And beyond death, I give peace, and freedom, And reunion with those who have gone before. Nor do I demand sacrifice; for behold, I am the Mother of all living, And my love is poured out upon the earth.

Hear ye the words of the Star Goddess; She in the dust of whose feet are the hosts of heaven, whose body encircles the universe. I, who am the beauty of the green earth, and the white moon among the stars, And the mystery of the waters, and desire of the heart of man. Call unto thy soul; Arise and come unto me; For I am the soul of nature, who gives life to the universe. From me all things proceed, and unto me all things must return; And before my face, beloved to Gods and of men, Let thine innermost divine self be enfolded in the rapture of the infinite. Let my worship be within the heart that rejoiceth; For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals. And therefore let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, Honour and humility, mirth and reverence within you, And thou who thinkest to seek for me, Know thy seeking and yearning shall avail thee not unless thou knowest the mystery: That if that which thou seekest thou findest not within thee, Thou will never find it without thee. For behold, I have been with thee from the beginning; And I am that which is attained at the end of desires.”

Face the altar again with arms raised, giving the “Horned God” salute.

“Great God Cernunnos, return to earth again!
Come on my call and show thyself to men.
Shepherd of Goats, upon the wild hill’s way,
Lead thy lost flock’s from darkness unto day.
Forgotten are the ways of sleep and night -
Men seek for them, whose eyes have lost the light.
Open the door, the door that hath no key,
The door of dreams, whereby men come to thee.
Shepherd of Goats, O answer unto me!”

Sit of kneel in the center of the Circle facing the altar.

“Gentle Goddess, powerful God; I am your child, now
And always. Your breath is my life. Your voice, Great Mother, and yours, Great Father, speak within me, as they do in all your creatures, if we will only listen. Therefore here in your Magick Circle, which stands between the world of men and the realm of the Mighty Ones, do I open my heart to your blessing.”

Meditate in silence on the Goddess and God, opening your heart to them.

Once it feels right, rise and go to each of the cardinal points in turn and say:

“Take heed, ye Lords of the East (South, West, North), that I, ____, am properly prepared to become a priestess and witch.”

Stand in front of the altar once more with your right hand on your heart, speaking the Oath:

“I, _____, in the presence of the Mighty Ones, do of my own free will and accord most solemnly swear that I ever keep secret and never reveal those secrets of the Craft which shall be entrusted to me, except it be in a proper person, properly prepared within a Circle such as I am now in; and that I will never deny the secrets to such a person if he or she be properly vouched for by a brother of sister of the Art. All this I swear by my hopes of a future life; and may my weapons turn against me if I break this my solemn oath.”

Bow to the altar and take the anointing oil. Dip your fingers in and say:

“I hereby sign myself with the Triple Sign.
I consecrate myself with oil.”

Make the Triple Goddess sign with the oil over your heart and forehead.

Pick up the necklace and put it around your neck.

“With the Necklace, which is the Circle of Rebirth,
I seal my commitment to the Craft of the Wise.”

Finally, go to each of the cardinal points in turn and, with your arms raised, say:

“Hear ye, Mighty Ones of the East (South, West, North); I, ______, have been duly consecrated priestess, witch, and hidden child of the Goddess.”

No comments:

Post a Comment