Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An Imbolc Ritual

Altar Setup

The altar is covered in white satin, gold and silver confetti, and lacy cut-out snowflakes. Above, more snowflakes hang. On the altar are all the standard ritual tools, a special bowl of blessed water to be used later, along with the usual water bowl used for purifying the space. A grouping of candles of many sizes and earth colours stands in the North quarter of the room. There are three other groupings of candles in the room - the direction East, South, and West, on small tables. A tray of candles for the center - the direction of Spirit - stands ready to be placed in the center at the appropriate time. All of the candles are elementally appropriate in colour, yet they vary greatly in size and type. A single white candle stands lit in the bottom of the cauldron or large bowl, which is on the floor in the center of the room. This is the only light in the room. A small vase of white roses is located on the altar also.

Smudge the area in which the circle is to be cast, then smudge yourself. Take special care to waft the smoke over your whole body. Anoint yourself with some oil over your third eye.

Pre-ritual Message

“I begin in darkness (snuff candle in center)… in the seed-place, the place of deciding, of becoming… The place where nothing is as yet established. The gleaning is over, the Dark Time has ended, the Wheel has turned.

As the Sun grows in strength, I turn to face my future. What will the coming year bring? What will I learn? How will I work change in my life? These are the questions I ponder this Imbolc, knowing that it is up to me… to spark the seeds of my own illumination, here… now… tonight!
Here, in this place that is not a place, in a time that knows no time… in this place of choice and change. I know that I can create my own transformation, for this is the place where though begins, where only a glimmer (relight candle) can cast the shadow that defines the difference between light and dark, the place where I can begin to illuminate my own Mysteries…”

Casting and Calling

Take three measures of salt from the Earth dish with your athame, or two fingers and stir it, deosil, into the water vessel, then imbue it with purifying energy, and sprinkle it around the perimeter of the circle. Return the vessel to the altar.
Lay a measure of incense on the charcoal; then imbue it with charging energy and carry it around the perimeter of the circle. Return the censer to the altar.

Cast your Circle.

Call the Quarters

“Greetings, East,
By dawn’s fresh scent
I welcome the winds of change
Bright morning sky, gentle Spring,
Which fans the Sacred Flame,
I seek you and I call you to my
Sacred space tonight
That I may know the truth within
By the power of your light.
So come, oh East!
And bless me now with the power to
Understand
And may blessings return then
To you, my source
On the morning’s gentle wind.
Blessed be.

Greetings, South,
By high noon’s heat
I welcome the fires of change
Bright summer sky, high noon Sun
The earth’s most Sacred Flame.
I seek you and I call you to my
Sacred space tonight
That I may know
The desire of my will
By the passion that burns so bright.
So come, oh South!

And bless me now with the power to
Work my will
And may blessings return then
To you, my source
And the Sun keep climbing, still.
Blessed be.

Greetings, West,
By twilight stars

I welcome the tides of change
Sweet evening skies of romance true,
Which temper the Sacred Flame,
I seek you and I call you to my
Sacred space tonight
That I may honour my truth with love
By the courage you bring the light.
So come, oh West!
And bless me now with the powers to
See and to dare
And may blessings return then
To you, my source
Upon the misty air.
Blessed be.

Greetings, North,
By midnight’s silence
I’m here to learn of change
By cobalt skies and Mysteries deep,
Which hold the Sacred Flame,
I seek you and I call you to my
Sacred space tonight
That I may manifest the truth
By the power of your might.
So come, oh North!
And bless me now with the power to
Manifest change
And may blessings return then
To you, my source
In their sacred names.
Blessed be.”

Invite the Goddess

“Fiery Brighid, goddess of the forge, of healing and of poetry, come! Blessed goddess with the flame-bright hair, who inspires me to greater visions, who is the Lady of Creativity and Eloquence, who fuels the bright flames within, come! I ask you to my circle tonight, that I may see and illuminate my own life, my own Mysteries. Mighty Brighid, come! Please, be here now! Blessed be.”

Invite the God

“Lugh, Bright Lord of the morning skies, of noon and afternoon’s heat, come! Radiant Warrior who saved you people with your bright sword, who is the Celtic God of drive and of action, come! I ask you to my circle tonight that I may learn the truth of the illumination I seek, that I may act on what I’ve learned, with courage and strength. Bright Lugh, come! I ask you to be here now! Blessed be.”

The Message

“Tonight, I stand in the seed-place, between the worlds to be certain, but also between the dark and the light. For the Dark Time has long been ended, and now the first stirrings of life and light are coming forth. Although all may seem dormant still, there is life teeming under the soil. Even as I go now to explore my own Mysteries, just as Persephone learned in the Underworld, so I know I will return to celebrate the truth and light, just as Kore will soon return and warm the earth again.”

Take a moment to cleanse your third eye with the salt water, then get comfortable, ground and center, and take some deep breaths. Go within, and sink your roots deep into the earth… see them going deeper and deeper, down to the very foundations of bedrocks, of spirit, of being. See your roots probing and exploring your own dark spaces, your own Mysteries, your core… And as you see and feel these dark spaces opening, know that now it is time to bring some of the more puzzling of these Mysteries to light… and just note these areas which you would have knowledge of, and remember. Remember, noting all that is still in want of illumination. Know that you are still in that seed place, where new clarity and understanding can dawn. As you come up from the depths of meditation, know that you have the power to bring this illumination to your life: you have the will and the desire… and the skill. Open your eyes when you are ready, and relight the candle before you.

Know that all of the things we would wish to illuminate come from somewhere, some elemental force rules them. Light a plain white candle from the candle in the center and then snuff it and place the tray of spirit candles on top of the cauldron or bowl. Rise and light the other candles in the room while chanting. As you chant, walk your circle deosil, pausing in your steps and your chant as needed to focus on that which you wish to have illuminated. When you are ready, light a candle of prayer for each thing as it comes to you, each in its proper place of Air, Water, Earth, Fire and Spirit.

Chant

“Within, within,
To Mysteries dark and deep
I shine a light for wisdom, bringing
Answers that I seek.”

Continue the chant, letting power build to a peak after all the candles are lit, then fire the energy into the candles, knowing that the answers you seek are all coming to you in their proper time.
When you are ready, stand and say your thanks and goodbyes.

“Farewell, North,
By midnight’s silence
You give me strength to change
By cobalt’s skies and Mysteries deep,
Which hold the Sacred Flame,
I thank you for the gifts you brought
To my sacred space tonight
That I may manifest the truth
By the power of your might.
Blessed be.

Farewell, West,
By twilights stars
You bring the tides of change
Sweet evening skies of romance true,
Which temper the Sacred Flame,
I thank you for the gifts you brought
To my sacred space tonight
That I may honour truth with love
By the courage you brought to light.
Blessed be.

Farewell, South,
By high noon’s heat
You bring the fires of change
Bright summer sky, high noon Sun
The earth’s most Sacred Flame,
I thank you for the gifts you brought
To my sacred space tonight
That I may know the power to will
By the passion the burns so bright.
Blessed be.

Farewell, East,
By dawn’s fresh scent
You bring the winds of change
Bright morning sky, gentle spring,
Which fans the Sacred Flame,
I thank you for the gifts you brought
To my sacred space tonight
That I may know the truths within
By the power of your light.
Blessed be.”




Thank the Goddess

“Fiery Brighid, Goddess of the Forge, of healing and of poetry, I thank you! Blessed goddess with the flame-bright hair, who inspires me and fuels the bright flames within. I thank you for coming to my circle tonight that I may see and illuminate my life, my Mysteries, Mighty Brighid, again I thank you! Please, stay if you will, but go with my blessings if you must! Blessed be!”

Thank the God

“Lugh, Bright Lord of the morning skies, I thank you! Radiant Warrior God of drive and of action, I thank you for coming to my circle tonight and helping me learn of the truths I sought. I ask that you continue to help me, that I may act on what I’ve learned, with courage and with strength. Bright Lugh, again I thank you and bless you as you go on your way - but please stay if you will! Blessed be!”

Open the Circle

“The Circle is open,
But unbroken.
May the peace of the gods live forever in my heart.
Merry meet, merry part,
And merry meet again”.

Pick up the Circle.





(***”Dedicant” - Thuri Calafia***)

No comments:

Post a Comment